Thursday, May 8, 2008

Wikis

Wikis eh? This is a pretty broad subject especially considering how far wikis have come. Liek most people the first wiki I started using was Wikipedia. I still use this site for random research or when I'm clueless about something and need a quick summary or overview. There has been a lot of debate over the accuracy of a collection of information that can be edited by almost anyone and any time. I do recall reading somewhere that the information found in wikipedia is actually more accurate based on how many errors occur than the Britanica encyclodpedia set. Is this true? I'm not positive but you can do the research yourself I'm just trying to make a point.

I started a music blog with some friends to share music about a year ago. We used it as a place to post links to hosted copies of albums we were currently enjoying. We would also write little reviews on them as well. Now before you start screaming pirate or accusing me of launching some sort of replacement for peer to peer file sharing let me say this is on a small scale and comparable to letting your buddy borrow that new album you picked up to check it out. Just don't tell the RIAA.

Another great thing about wikis is the ability to set up an RSS feed that will let you know when someone edits the wiki. This especially comes in handy with the aforementioned music blog my friends and I use. This way anytime anyone edits a page and adds an album we would all know via RSS. ka-chow!

No comments: